Brand New Team, Same Old Problems

Is it a case of ‘here we go again’? Brand new team, same old problems. It seems as if Blues’ excellent pre-season was a flash in the pan. Gone were the goals, the attacking flare and defensive solidity. Back came the toothless attacking, lack of ideas and school boy defending.

Blues Lose to BoroShould we be shocked by our lack of ‘get up and go’ in midfield? The sale of Tom Adeyemi was also the sale of Blues’ midfield muscle. The duo of David Edgar and Stephen Gleeson appear lightweight, they were over-run time and time again. Dean Whitehead won’t have an easier day to control the middle of the park. Out wide, Demarai Gray was out of his depth, Lee Novak, for all his running, was anonymous and Andrew Shinnie was sloppy and ineffective. In hindsight, leaving David Cotterill and Mark Duffy on the bench was a mistake. The same could also be said about Paul Caddis, even though Neal Eardley was steady, if not brilliant.

David Davis has signed from Wolves today; the hope is that he will add the missing muscle in the middle. Out of favour at Molineux, Blues fans moaning at this signing need to take a reality check and see what boat we’re in. Players are hardly queueing up to come to the club and the state of the finances is still dire- so why are they still expecting us to make an audacious bid for Angela Di Maria?

Thankfully, we still have 45 Championship games remaining. Certainly enough time to try and sort out the mess that was Saturday. I don’t buy Lee Clark’s comments that the players suffered ‘stage fright’. With all due respect, they were playing in front of 18,000 at Middlesbrough, not the Nou Camp. If it was stage fright, we may as well drop the League One now because there will be bigger crowds and more intimidating atmosphere’s to contend with.

Positives? Wes Thomas was showing for the ball well and holding it up well, unfortunately his options were limited. Grant Hall looked strong and Darren Randolph was superb, keeping the score respectable. With Clayton Donaldson on the bench because of illness, we can hope that he can add something up top. Admittedly, we are only one game in, but I didn’t like what I watched.

Cambridge in the first round of the Capital One Cup tomorrow, suddenly this game becomes quite big. It is one of three tough home games in a week. Come on Blues, sort it out!

Keep Right On!

Twitter: @robwildey_

This entry was posted in Birmingham City, Rob Wildey. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Brand New Team, Same Old Problems

1. gerald squires says:

you thought gray was out of his depth mmmmm?
    we obviously were not at the same game it would appear would it not mmmmmmm?
    poor analysis young man

2. Will says:

Same old team budget though until that improves were stuck with free transfers and loans you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear or something like that as the saying goes

3. d haynes says:

get rid of l clark, he dose not know is first team, cotteril was good in pre season then on the bench, he as to go now before it is to late, we need a strong motivator some one who can pick the strongest team, if you fans cannot see that, I suggest go and watch darts, he will pick the wrong team at home and lose, then he as to go, get down there and kick him out excuse after excuse, he as had long enough, get the ball rolling fans, by thanks blue nose.

4. theguvna says:

I didn’t go to Boro, but I have been to some of the pre season games, so I can’t comment directly on the game, only by what I’ve read in the press and the fans’ comments.

I must admit that my heart sank when I saw the team prior to the game. It seemed to lack any imagination and seemed set up not to lose. Cotterill and Duffy both looked dynamic in pre season, particularly Cotterill.

To see them on the bench was so disappointing. When I saw Eardley on the team sheet ahead of Caddis, I was bewildered. Eardley is one of the worst full backs I’ve seen in a blue shirt. His positional sense seems shocking and his distribution is generally quite poor. Even against Kiddy in pre season, he looked out of his depth. Prior to his injury last season, we looked vulnerable with him at full back. According to reports from the game on Saturday, he had a ‘mare, somewhat contradicting your view he was ‘steady’.

I hope that Donaldson was only left out due to illness, as he looked a really smart forward in pre season.

Having said all that, the goals that we conceded weren’t goals where we were ripped apart. A routine header from a corner and a lucky deflection falling into the path of the striker.

Nonetheless, only four shots and none on target smacks of lack of ambition. These players have to be allowed to go out and play.

KRO>

5. Matt says:

We almost always lose at Boro, same as they almost always lose at St Andrews, so no real surprises there.
    The squad is what it is, to me it looks like a bottom half of the table squad. If we get a bit of luck then top half, brush the play offs, but no chance of making them. If we get a bit of bad luck then it’ll be a relegation battle again. Not particularly inspiring but that’s where we are.

6. Rob Wildey says:

I’m sorry, isn’t football a game of opinions? For me, Gray didn’t do anything at all, let alone something that made him look like a championship winger. He didn’t put a single ball into the box and was too keen to pass it back to his full back, was getting pushed off the ball.

A loan spell would do him good.

7. Rob Wildey says:

Eardley was steady. He didn’t do anything wrong, but on the same hand he didn’t set the world alight. He had Gray ahead of him who didn’t offer much support.

Just my opinion. I do prefer Caddis though.

8. Rob Wildey says:

I understand that and I agree, but a team of professional footballers, no matter how much they cost, should be able to pass a ball 4 yards and muster a shot on target in 90 minutes.

9. chris says:

I don’t think Donaldson was ill, he was ill before the Inverness game so was on the bench.
    If he was ill all the next week i doubt he would have trained during the week and he wouldn’t have even made the subs bench.
    He has also stated he was disappointed to only be a sub for Saturday’s game, so he can’t have been ill.

Comments are closed.